Welcome to my personal political viewpoints. I describe myself as a political loser for a number of reasons (as listed below):
- I have voted Liberal Democrat in every election I have been eligible to participate in apart from December 2019
- I moved abroad in 1998 and returned to the UK in 2019 and was, therefore, disenfranchised from the most important vote in my life – the EU Referendum of 2016
- I am a collaborative internationalist who believes wholeheartedly in the EU project
- I am firmly against nationalism in all it’s forms
- Due to 4, I have always been a believer of the UK as a single entity but, due to 2 and 3 I am now drawn to Scottish Independence as the only way I can see of regaining EU citizenship and EU benefits
- I am a left-of-centre soft socialist. I don’t believe in unfettered capitalism or neo-liberalism but I am equally wary of unconstrained socialism. At heart I support the Nordic model of socially-responsible-capitalism.
Over recent years I have seen the values which I hold dear, and which I believe made the UK a positive country and somewhere to be proud to hail from, being usurped and replaced with unrestricted capitalism and selfish individualism. All of the above means I feel I have lost the country I love, hence my description of myself as a political loser.
I will try and post to this blog weekly with my thoughts and musings on the political news of the week. Everything will be subject to personal bias and I promise no guarantee of deep analysis or intense fact-checking!
If you’re interested in following my ramblings, please do subscribe. You’ll receive 1 e-mail per week informing you of any updates to the blog.
The posts are in reverse chronological order at the bottom of this page and categories an be accessed from here.